A distorted reality is taking shape
Cableguys released a new distortion and saturation module called DriveShaper. The plugin offers multi-band distortion found in plugins such as FabFilter Saturn. You can just apply any of its 10 distortion types statically, or dynamically automate in your DAW. But where DriveShaper offers something different is dynamic modulation. Through its visual interface and various curves & timing options known from the Cableguys Shaperbox series, DriveShaper makes rhythmic changes look easy.
DriverShaper features include:
- 10 distortion types: Soft/ Hard Clip, Soft/ Hard Square, Soft/ Hard Rectify, 4 wave folding algorithms
- Multi-band distortion: Different distortion modulation can be applied to 3 frequency spectra
- MIDI trigger: LFO curves can be changed dynamically via MIDI triggers
- User curves: 9 user presets can be stored
- Envelope follower: Use the incoming signal to modulate distortion levels
- LFO modulation: can be set to bars, beats and frequency - from 32 bars to 1/128 notes
- Presets: a range of presets are included
Cableguys quotes many well known musicians and producers who apparently use DriverShaper: Zedd, The Chainsmokers, Richard Devine, Jordan Rudess, Rik Simpson, BT, Andrew Scheps, and others.
Available as a standalone plugin, Cableguys DriverShaper is also added for free in the Cableguys Shaperbox plugin. The German software house has steadily grown their range of modulation options in Shaperbox, which now includes 7 modulators in Shaperbox 2: Time, Drive, Filter, Crush, Pan, Volume, Width.